DCRT’s Autumn/Winter Photo Competition – Guidance
DCRT are running another photo competition! After the success of our last ‘River in Spring’ photo competition during the first lockdown (see winners and entries here), we’re asking you again to share your seasonal images with us whilst you’re out along your local river.
“Don Catchment in Autumn/Winter” is the theme for this next competition. Interpret this how you like but we would like it to showcase our rivers and streams in the best light. The photograph must have been taken on or in the vicinity of a body of water, river or stream of the Don Catchment e.g. the Rivers Don, Rother, Dearne, Went, or the myriad smaller rivers and streams that comprise their tributaries as well as canals and waterbodies such as wetlands. See this map here to check if your area of interest falls within the Don Catchment.
Anyone is able to enter but we are looking for amateur photographers rather than professionals. The photograph may be taken on any medium, film or digital and with a device of your choosing – phone, DSLR or analogue cameras.
Entries can have been taken at any time, even before the competition opened to be inclusive for those self-isolating during this time. If you are going to go outside to take photos please ensure you are complying within government guidelines surrounding Covid-19 – either as they exist today or any future tightening of the rules.
The winning prize includes a Ltl Acorn 5210a wildlife camera (pictured) plus accessories giving you the ability to discover what wildlife is living in your garden. You will also receive a print out of your winning photograph.
You’re welcome to submit up to three photographs in total, please include the location of the photo and a brief (no more than 280 characters) description of why you would like to submit that particular image. If you’re under 16 please get permission from your guardian before entering. All entries must be in before midnight on Monday 16th December. Please read the general terms and conditions and privacy notice before entering this competition.
Quick guide to competition entry
– Submit up to three photos
– Image taken within the Don Catchment
– Include the location of the image (e.g. River Hipper, Queen’s Park, Chesterfield).
– Brief description why you would like to enter each image
– Submit images to email@example.com or social media platforms and include #dcrtphotocompetition
– Be original
– Think what the river means to you
– Think about how it relates to the theme of ‘Don Catchment in Autumn/Winter’
How to enter!
- Via email – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “DCRT Autumn/Winter Photo Competition”. Each file submitted to us should be no more than a maximum of 20mb in size.
- Via social media – upload and tag us in your post via the following platforms:
In the post please include where the picture was taken, brief description why you would like to submit that particular image and the hashtag #dcrtphotocompetition.
General Terms and Conditions
- We will allow some enhancements to the photo but will not accept composite images – entries that stitch two or more separate photographs together to make one image, or entries that superimpose elements photographed separately onto an image.
- Keep it authentic! We want a truthful representation photo of our catchment.
- Entrants must not be professional photographers; we want to keep the competition accessible. For the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs.
- Any entrants under the age of 16 will need to get permission from their parents or guardians before entering the competition.
- There will be no cash alternative given for the prize
- How the competition will be judged:
- Stage 1. Staff collaboratively shortlist a set of ten favourite images
- Stage 2. Trustees score each of these ten images based on their subjective judgement of how good it is. The highest aggregated score wins first prize and the next four highest scoring images win runner up prizes.
- By entering the competition you are giving DCRT permission to use your images on social media and of our promotional materials, you will be given photo credit whenever it is used. You may reserve our use of the imagine if you wish so. We will not make any contact information publically available.
- DCRT will not share your data outside with any other third parties without your permission.